Friday, April 18, 2008

Season Debut





Well I started off my true multi sport season last weekend with a very solid performance. Going into the race I was a bit worried that all of the Ultra Distance training I have been putting in would leave me with little to no speed in my legs. After all this race is a sprint by every definition of the word. The 3 Sports Duathlon was a 3 mile run, 18 mile bike, followed by another 3 mile run. The field was loaded with some very fast guys and I became even more discouraged as I looked around. Tom Jeffery, current USA National Duathlon champ was there. So was Adam Ostot, a local pro and Mens 25-29 World Duathlon Champ. Another half dozen or so competitor wore there Team USA gear as this race was a tune up for those of us racing in the National Championships next weekend. The weather was warm and muggy but who was I to complain, last year during this same race Richmond saw its only blast of snow for 2007. Big difference.








To the start line I went. Bang......off we go and my goodness it was a sprint. Where we really going that fast or was I just that out of the speed that I once had. I looked at my watch...5:05 pace....yeah, lets slow this down. I dropped off knowing if I had kept that up I would do what I counted on most of the field doing.....sucking wind sooner than later. We hit the turn around at the 1.5 mile mark and that when people started coming back to me. I ended the first 3 mile run in 16:46 and felt great in 14th place, into a quick 38 sec transition, and off on the bike. The bike leg is what ate me up in every race I competed in last year so I focused on it the most in the off season and my hard work paid off. The course was anything but flat with 8 Major climbs. 23.1 mph was my average speed which is a far cry from 18.9 mp last year.



Into another quick transition and back out for another 3 mile run. My legs felt a bit sluggish but I knew it would wear off....I had people in front of me to catch...no time for heavy legs. I managed a 17:50 second run leg and a strong 10th place overall. A nice start to my season and a good warm up for next weeks National Championship. Wish me luck...I am going to need it.



1 comment:

SimplyStu said...

Best of luck at the race. Can't wait to see how you do.