Saturday, February 23, 2008

Youngblood 5k

Just for the hell of it and because some of my coworkers were going, I signed up to run in the Youngblood 5k this morning. These days running an all out 5k is a ridiculous thing. My IM training has me doing no speed and all ultra, controlled distance so sprinting 3.1 miles is a treat. Now add to the fact its 29 degrees, raining, on a course of muddy trails and lots of hills......fun. My coworkers spent the night before on a total bender and were in no shape to be out of bed, let alone run a 5k. Instead of resting the night before they drank their tails off and when they were beyond the point of no return, made "Go Bob" signs to hold up as I ran by (they were now fans, running or cheering would have made them throw up....so they held up signs).
Off to the Start Line for the beginning of the race. The gun fired and as in every race chaos begins. Everyone and there mother that had a sip of espresso or a good night of sleep sprinted the first 50 meters of the race creating some tricky running for those of us actually racing being the trail was only about 6 feet wide. Within half a mile there was a break away group of about 12 of us as we tried to keep our feet under us. The footing was terrible but little did we know we were in the good part. It was hard to get up any speed since every 100 meters there was a turn or switchback on the trail. At the one mile mark we had shook off about 4 runners from our pack and one runner threw in an amazing surge. If he could hold it there was no stopping him. I started to fade a bit, but thank goodness I did. We came up quickly on a bridge that was innocent enough to the eyes but when running 5:50 pace you didn't notice the ice coating it. Bam....down went one of the runners. In speaking with him after the race he revealed to me the road rash he suffered as a result of his spill. (he still managed to finish 7th) At this point we had rolled through 2.5 miles and it was time to call on the strength my Ironman training has been building for me. I may not have the speed of these guys but I will try to wear there buts out.....so I cranked up the pace, put my head down and went for it.
I managed to pull out a 4th place overall and first place in men 30-34 years of age and a time in the low 18's. Not to bad for a course were my long legs never got to open up. In the end I was very pleased that when I called upon my strength....it was there and I made the other guys hurt. Almost had 3rd...he got me by 3 seconds. Went off after that and got another good hour of running in.....5k's are just a warm up these days.

1 comment:

Theoutofshapeguy said...

Hey Bob, I just fell upon your blog and noticed you were doing louisville. I don't know if you are on it. But a bunch of us who are doing the Louisville ironman have a blog set up at http://ironmanlouisville2008.blogspot.com/. Just wanted to let you know. Hope your training going well!

Mike